Monday, October 25, 2010

Buddhist Doctrine

Siddhartha does not follow this doctrine, but he experiences it. 
1) Life is suffering. 
2) Suffering is caused by ignorance and attachment. 
3) Suffering is ended by overcoming ignorance and attachment. 
4) The path to the suppression of suffering is The Noble Eightfold Path which is made up of right: views, intentions , speech, actions , livelihood, effort, mindedness, and contemplation 
What are your views on Buddhist doctrine? Do you think it is correct? Would it be useful to apply to your own life? What other doctrines have you heard 

My views on Buddhist doctrine? Well, I don't follow these doctrines but I acknowledge their principles and wholeheartedly respect those who follow such doctrines for their passion, self-denial, and aim for self-righteousness. I believe that the Buddhists are on the right track of searching for salvation. They acknowledge that life is suffering, and they seek ways to circumvent suffering, encouraging good deeds, and deep meditation. I also respect and applaud the efforts of Buddhism to self-denial of human nature. However I cannot accept Buddhist philosophy because of the contradicting ideals I believe in. Buddhist doctrines focus on the cleansing of suffering through deeds; in other words, actions committed within one's own power. I don't believe that humanity has the motivation or the ability to be perfect in their paths of life, no matter how much meditation one does. The inability of human nature to exceed expectations is the basis for almost all religions because it acknowledges the fact that we cannot accomplish it on our own. Buddhism, however, requires one to overcome suffering by one's own ability (in addition, even if one did possess the strength to become completely sinless and pure, he would have so much pride, self-satisfaction, and self-righteousness that he would look upon others with disdain. It is an aspect of human nature to do so, as seen with the example of the Pharisees or the Jews in the old times). Standards like these cannot be met; nirvana cannot be achieved on a person's own ability. In addition, I believe suffering is necessary in life to obtain experience and to gain wisdom; one who has experienced no suffering has yet to grow.

I however also believe that suffering is only released when one releases hold of worldly values, such as emotional attachment. I also strongly agree with the point of ignorance contributing to suffering. Too many people of the world, from multiple religions and various mindsets, contain themselves to a particular viewpoint through which they see the world. As a result many are ignorant and disrespectful of others. Buddhism finds a way through this by accepting and respecting all people and their beliefs.

These ideals are applicable to my life. I believe that one should devote oneself to possessing righteous actions and attitudes, and to accept and observe all people without ignorance or disdain. I also believe in contemplation and meditation. I respect the Buddhist ideals of seeking enlightenment and salvation through righteousness. I live alongside Taoists, Buddhists, and basic ancestral worshipers in Taiwan, and I also engage in their religious activities alongside my family, such as the ritual of burning paper money.

However, I have come and learned to believe in the Christian doctrines and to accept the religion as truth. I wish for no judgment to be passed on me for my beliefs, and I have chosen my path, just as Siddhartha chose his, because I my heart was touched in its logic, its philosophy, and ideals. I have experienced the doctrines of Taoism (which in a sense is related to Buddhism), Islam, and many different Christian factions in my life, and I respect and acknowledge them all, with no prejudice towards them.

No comments:

Post a Comment