Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Two Lives?

Most of you have a combination of cultural backgrounds. For example, you are ethnically Chinese, but you live in Taiwan and you go to an American school. Some of you have lived in other countries. Each of these backgrounds has an effect on you, and the synergy created by two or more creates yet an additional influence. Try to describe the different cultures which influence you, and how they influence you. Which of your backgrounds do you think has the most influence on you? If you were a writer, how do you think this might affect your style?

I am Chinese by heritage; sometime or another, whether it was during or before the Chinese Civil War, my past family came from China to settle in Taiwan. Despite my heritage, my parents decided to place my sister and me under the American educational system. They did not want my sister and me to be consumed by the unilateral, uncreative, and stressful system of education most of Asia has, and as a result generally encourage Western ideals and cultures.  What results is a juxtaposition of two different cultures and a lifestyle that may seem paradoxical at first glance.

Due to this American/Taiwanese cultural background, I live in a fairly moderate state between the two cultures. For example, my parents never pushed me to excel in school (they trusted that I would have the innate motive to do so), but they still expect me to succeed. However, sometimes I tend to side with one belief or another; for example, I strongly disagree with Taiwan's competitive and fanatically stressful educational agenda. I believe that while studying is crucial, a student's life should also be balanced out with extracurricular activities and fun and engaging events. This is probably the belief that decreases my popularity in this school, since PAS doesn't seem to share my point-of-view.

A third cultural influence is that of religion. I have personally accepted Christian doctrines, but I still hold incense sticks, burn paper money, and join in pray to Buddhist gods alongside my family, out of respect for them and for my culture.

Because I mainly affiliate with so called "American culture," some of my family members whisper and grumble behind my back (something I am more than aware of). Some, mostly the older folk, dislike the fact that I am "throwing my heritage away" while others disagree about sending me to college overseas.

I'm not entirely sure how this would affect my style. Perhaps after years of mental stimulation and intrapersonal learning practice, I am forced to think in more empathetic, yet rational means before I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment