Monday, November 1, 2010

My Favorite Stories

 Favorite Childhood Stories
  • Robert Munsch classics
    • Love You Forever
  • Tedd Arnold books
    • Huggly series
  • Joanna Cole
    • The Magic School Bus series
  • Mark Brown
    • Arthur series
  • Curious George series
  • Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves
  • Toy Story
  • Beauty and the Beast
These are only some of the favorite storybooks/stories from my childhood. Different stories appealed to me for different reasons. Unfortunately I cannot precisely tell you how or why these stories appealed to me as a child. However I can tell you that most books, most stories, appealed to me because I realized that they contained something deep that I could not understand, a concept that I could not draw. Stories such as Robert Munsch's (my favorite children's writer) book Love You Forever stirred emotions that I could not understand as a child; and yet this is why they appealed to me. However only a few months ago I found a copy of Love You Forever and read through it, I was deeply touched by the depth of the themes of what, at the time, was only a simple child's book.
Maybe it is also for this reason that I also read stories such as Huggly, the monster who lives in the world underneath our beds, and the antics of the mischievous monkey Curious George. Huggly's adventures base themselves around discovering the "human" world around them. Maybe it was the idea of Huggly and George's innocence and his desire for discovery; perhaps it was the theme of innocence to experience that stirred my still developing mind. Whatever it was, the idea of discovering and understanding the world around us continues to be one of my favorite themes in literature.

In addition, I want to mention one last story; the story of Beauty and the Beast was, and admittedly still is, my favorite Disney fairy tale. Why? Apart from the themes of the story, it is because the tale included elements that were accurate depictions of human nature and of love. As a child, I always thought it was ridiculous how people could fall in love at first sight; this is why other Disney stories never really appealed to me. In the tale of Beauty and the Beast, character developments and the portrayals of love are accurately portrayed. Love is built upon, and not found in seconds. People change. Such ideals intrigued me, and I could understand that such ideas were different from those told in other Disney movies. (Again, I did not understand all of this of course - I was young at the time!)

These are the reasons why such stories appealed to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment