Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A World With No People

In The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Christopher likes the idea of a world with no people in it (p. 2); he contemplates the end of the world when the universe collapses (pp. 10–11); he dreams of being an astronaut, alone in space (pp. 50–51), and that a virus has carried off everyone and the only people left are "special people like me" (pp. 198–200). Christopher often fantasizes about being the only person left in the world. What is comforting about fantasizing about being the only person left in the world? Have you ever thought about being alone in the world? If you were alone in the world, what would you do?


Christopher often fantasizes about being "alone in the universe" - that is, being the only person left in the world. Because of his autistic nature, he cannot empathize with others and has severe social difficulties. Because of this, interacting with other people is difficult and stressful for Christopher, and as a result he hates crowds, group interaction, and invasion of privacy. This is probably why he finds comfort in being alone - free to think and go as he pleases.

I don't know about being the only one left in the world. In all honesty I do not prefer a large group - I prefer a smaller, closer knit group to be with. However, after being in Taipei for so long, I have become comfortable in a crowd - to an extent, of course.
It depends on my mood - sometimes you have the need to be around friends and socialize, other times you do wish you were able to be alone in the universe.

If, by some freakish incident, I were to become the last man on Earth, I guess there wouldn't be much to do but to think, read, steal food (and DVD's!) from stores and homes.... ? I never really thought about it. But if I were the only man left, I would probably be too busy surviving and running from the zombies to do too much. It also wouldn't be long before I would snap and start talking to mannequins as though they were real people. For a while though, just living alone, surviving alone... I can't express in words why it sounds appealing to me, but it just would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment