Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Write a Letter

Imagine you were friends with the Hayashis, the family in “Evacuation Order No. 19.” Write a letter to them in which you express your thoughts on their situation. Also in your letter, give news from “home” and attempt to soothe and bolster your friends’ spirits.

Dear Mrs. Hayashi,

It is with utmost respect and dignity that I write this letter to you. First, let me extend my sympathies towards you and your family. I know that leaving an established life can be potentially difficult, and I doubt you needed me to say so. Things back in the town have changed slightly since your leave. Joe's hardware store, the one you usually go to, closed a week ago due to "personal reasons", and the town just seems emptier - only now do I realize the number of Japanese-American citizens who had resided in Berkeley. This is even seen in the schools - quite a sum of the student population is absent due to the Evacuation Order.

Personally I believe the Order lacks resolute authority and organization. I myself have studied the Order, and I find that a large amount of things that should be covered, aren't. This is very concerning for me, and as a result I am concerned for you and your family. I do not know how the conditions are over there, and I know I wouldn't be able to understand even if I did. However, I implore you to not think of all white Americans badly because of this incident. It is not everybody who supports the act; many here oppose President Roosevelt's order, and have openly voiced our discontent. I myself do not set myself against other races, no matter what the circumstances. However due to the current state of affairs, it would seem logical to some to enact the order; but you and I both know that Roosevelt probably should have thought it thoroughly first. The order is based purely on racial injustice, war hysteria, and bad political leadership.

I have no real idea as to how you are doing, and I believe the conditions must be pretty bad. All I can say is, if Roosevelt drops dead one day, then we will know the reason why - punishment for his injustice. I know your letter will probably be censored by the time I receive it, but how are you doing? Give my regards to your children. I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,
Toby Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment