Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Style

What do you think of when you hear the word “style” or “stylish”? How do you recognize whether someone or something has style? Or does everyone have style? How does one reveal one’s style? How do you evaluate between “good” style and “bad” style? Is style more permanent, or more temporary? Do you have a style? What is it, and how do you manifest it?

To me, the word "style" means a certain type of mannerism and how something is carried out by the person. A style can be connoted through a person's behavior, and with some more perceptive people, through the manner in which they dress.

"Stylish," on the other hand, has a completely different meaning. To me it refers to being up-to-date on the latest fashion, and having elegance in manner and being discriminant in their choice of clothing. To put it in easier terms, everyone has a style, but not everyone is stylish.

A style can be anything such as the manner in which they speak (a rapid style of speech, a punctuate manner, etc), their choice of fashion, and the mode in which they live their lives. I believe everyone carries themselves with a certain style, based on their mannerisms and how they live their life; even being bland is a style (though, granted, not a very interesting one). 

The distinction between a good style and a bad style is, essentially, based on the style of the person who is judging. To me a good style is one that balances between a conservative and a progressive attitude, and is classy but also knows when to be free and have fun. To be stylish is to live in a contemporary house and listen to jazz on Sunday nights.

Style, I would say, is reasonably permanent, but is very prone to change. For instance, a few years ago I listened and enjoyed contemporary music. Now, I may recognize modern singers on the radio, but I only listen to jazz, classic rock, soft rock, and Oldies in my free time. My choice of clothing is also fairly reserved, and I hate ostentatious clothing with wild colors and symbols, something that my mom says is "not natural" for my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment