Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Buried Alive

Today we will begin reading a true story about two men who were trapped in the rubble of a collapsed building. What do you think it would be like to be buried alive or trapped in some life-threatening way? What thoughts do you think might go through your mind? Who would you like to have the chance to send a message to? Would you want to have done something differently in your life? If you were trapped with others, do you think that you would all work together to try to survive, or would it be “every man for himself”?

I can't say what it would feel like to be buried alive. I'm not a fan of tight spaces and am slightly claustrophobic, so I think the ordeal would be less-than-pleasant for me. The thought of being trapped an infinite amount of feet underground is rather frightening, and I imagine that those trapped underneath rubble and dirt who survived needed to harness a great amount of mental discipline to suppress their fears. If I were trapped in such a situation, I would probably start crying prayers while wondering whether or not it is my time to leave this world.

If I could send a message the people who would want to hear from me the most would be my parents - therefore for their sake (not mine), I would contact them. I think I would regret all the times of procrastination and inaction, for being lazy and distracted from doing the work i should be doing.

If I were trapped with others, I would rather we work together to survive. Since we're all in a hellhole together, a little comradeship to keep each other accountable wouldn't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment